Wednesday, September 30, 2009

St. Vinnie’s, the Holy Grail

This week I would like to share my favorite pastime: thrifting. If you are a person that only shops at Abercrombie, American Eagle, or whatever brainwashed “fashion trend” the Man is feeding youth these days, then you may not enjoy the true fashion hunting that is involved with thrift stores.

OK, maybe I shouldn’t start off by insulting 90% of my audience. Plus, I don’t want to be a hypocrite because I’m sure I have an American Eagle sweatshirt hidden somewhere in my closet from eighth grade. Let me start anew. Thrifting is not just a way to spend your hard earned paycheck; it is an adventure. I can spend hours sifting through thousands of shirts, pants, dresses, jackets and shoes in assorted styles, eras, and colors just to find the “One”. The “One” is that magical item that is sans shoulder pads and stains, has come back into style, and fits perfectly. I can count the number of days on one hand that I have found multi-magical items, those days will live in my memory as glorious… forever. You may be thinking that is too much work just to find some clothes, but its not just about finding an outfit. Thrifting takes effort, but it is also a spectacle of fun, kind of like a scavenger hunt.

Thrift stores such as Bethesda, Saint Vincent de Paul (better known as Vinnie’s and is my paradise), or Yellowjacket have unpredictable hours and are in the weirdest locations, so that is a journey in itself. Then there are the hours of exploring through awesomeness, trying wacky outfits on, taking pictures in prom dresses from the eighties, playing with semi-broken toys, relaxing in used Lazy-boys, etc. The best part is feeling like you accomplished something when you finally get to the check out and only pay $3.11 for two dresses, a pair of moccasins, and a fur coat. If the idea of wearing someone else’s clothes grosses you out, there is always the huge assortment of books and music, jewelry, furniture, and other random mishmash.

I’m hoping I may have swayed you to experience the thrill of bargain hunting at its most extreme. But if you are still a little leery, then I have a program that will slowly emerge you into the underground fashion culture. First, start off at a place like T.J. Maxx where you will learn to bargain hunt. Next, go to Style Exchange and learn to shop by size instead of going straight for the first cute shirt you see; also at a place like that you can exchange your old clothes for money and then go shopping. Third stop is at Goodwill, which is the most commercial of the thrift stores, and is the easiest to learn your way through if you are a thrifting newbie. After that you are prepared to step into any thrift store: Bethesda, Manna for Life, Fox Annie’s Closet, etc. Finally, if you think you are ready, go to the Holy Grail and experience pure bliss.

Need a sled? Does your Backstreet Boys C.D. have a scratch in it? Only have five dollars to buy a prom dress? Moving our of your parents’ house soon? Go thrifting!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wrote a blog about thrift shopping! Although I do shop at American Eagle, Abercrombie, and all of the many stores at the mall, I do love to shop at St. Vinnies ( I call it that too) and awesome thrift stores. It feels so great to find that awesome shirt or outfit and then pay nearly nothing for something you love!

    ReplyDelete