Sunday, October 25, 2009

i hate to bring up this topic, but...

Miley Cyrus.
I know, everyone likes to rant about her. Until just recently I was on a neutral standpoint about her. She is very annoying, but she seemed to be a good role model for young girls. And the next generation of women need a good role model otherwise they are going to be small whores right from the start. Pardon, my language. Then, a few days ago I saw her new video for that terrible piece of music called "party in the USA" and I decided to recant my neutral viewpoint.
She knows her audience is a bunch of 8-13 year old girls so why is she dancing around in short shorts and her bra hanging out. I don't care if someone her age does that, it's not that big of deal. But I do not want to see a bunch of pre-pubescent girls running around like that. It's bad enough they listen to all that rap music that encourages slutty behavior, but when a role model who has been deemed "children friendly" decides to do that I lose a lot of respect for that person and their image.
Maybe if her music was good, it might redeem her..... but that's a different story :)
All in all, our generation needs to produce good role models for the next generations. We can already see the effects on ourselves of the music we listened to. Our morals are looser and our clothes are smaller. Whatever, that's culture, right? But we can change culture. And we're at the point where if it gets any more vulgar... I actually don't know what will happen. But I would like to reel it in a little bit. Don't get me wrong: I don't mind swearing, I love the styles of now, I don't see what's wrong with people partying, etc. I just don't want to see all of that become a prudish behavior.
And I would like to blame everything on Miley Cyrus.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. The problem, though, isn't so much that they want to give a bad impression... it's that being a slut sells. What we really need is for our kids to stop wanting to watch this kind of garbage first before it goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what...I think you could have written this very same post 10 years ago, just substitute "Britney Spears" for "Miley Cyrus" (and I guess you'd have to insert a different song title). And actually, I'd have to say that culture has actually gotten less vulgar in that time. I think the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident was a bit of a turning point.

    ReplyDelete