Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gender Bonding

So, I was watching I Love You, Man last night. When it got to the part where Sydney is appalled that Peter would ever bring a girl golfing, I asked the guys I was with why that was such a terrible thing. They did the whole, "psh, that's guy time. when we just do guy stuff." At first I was slightly offended but then when I started to think about it, I can see that it is totally understandable.
Males and females are totally different beings. No matter how boyish of a girl you are, or how feminine of a man you are there still are fundamental differences that the other sex just can't understand. It only makes since that these different creatures need to separate every once and awhile, and just let out natural behaviors run rampant.
I still don't agree that males have dubbed golfing, bowling, video games, jamming out, and many other sports as "guy time". Because women can physically golf and may even be good at it. But it is perfectly logical that they would want some male bonding time to gossip and make dirty jokes. Females have the same type of rituals, but they involve more things like alanis morissette, shopping, cosmo, and nail polish.
The whole process has evolved throughout the years. It used to be way more divided, back before that whole women's rights movement. Now at least there are bowling leagues of both sexes and pro golf for women. I wouldn't mind being invited to a round of nine holes with my guy friends, but I don't want the genders to blend too much more. It's nice to be one with your species and just feel totally at peace with your natural habits. I like being boyish and going skateboarding, cracking dirty jokes, video games, etc. but every once in awhile I like to revert back to my natural state: put some high heels on, wear too much eyeliner, listen to shania twain, and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment