Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hygiene Habits

So, I've been reading the book Choosing Civility for LA105. Other than being extremely redundant and obvious it isn't terrible. Recently I got to the chapter titled "Mind Your Body" which is all about proper basic grooming is essential to being civil and having good manners. I personally think a lot of what the author was calling taboo, shouldn't be anymore.
Our generation has become more improper but in a good way. We don't expect perfection, we seem to understand that we are all humans with natural instincts. I like the way we have progressed. I don't want to go back to a society where "we offend people with our bodies", as the book states.
Some of the suggested hygiene habits are still important like having clean teeth, clean body and fresh breath. I don't expect everyone to have "finger- and toenails in perfect order", and a close shave is not necessary in our society where the scruffy look is totally in. Also it states that all grooming should be done in private. Never pick your teeth, scratch at your nose, stick your finger in your ear, spit, sniffle, chew you fingernails, etc. in public. Psh, I'm going to do what I want when I want. Why does this have to be taboo. We all do it, so why hide it?
Some things like farting and burping, I think are better placed in private. But, if it happens it's not a huge deal. Acceptance is key.
It is better to be clean, odor-free, and unrumpled but if you're not in perfect order, I will not think less of you. And I'm sure your doctor will forgive you if you don't take a second shower before coming in for your appointment, like this lovely novel suggests.
Why do people still insist to keep the bar at perfection? Go ahead and burp in public, I'll love you more because of it.

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't agree more. we're human, we can't be perfect. but yea, some things need to be kept more private, & in moderation it's perfectly fine (the burping thing)

    ReplyDelete